How did you go with the challenge this month?
As a reminder of what this month’s challenge entailed, or for those who are coming in late and still want to have a go, this was the challenge:
Show, Don’t Tell Challenge
1. Below I will list three ‘telling’ sentences and a photo.
2. Your challenge is to pick one of the sentences or the photo and write a descriptive paragraph or flash fiction (no more than 300 words).
3. You must not use the ‘banned’ word in your piece.
4. You must use each of the five senses.
5. You have two weeks to complete the challenge. In two weeks I will share my challenge piece and invite you to share yours in the comments.
Here are the sentences (and you are more than welcome to do more than one if you want!):
1. I was scared. (banned word = SCARED)
2. The boy ate an apple. (banned word = APPLE)
3. It’s a great party. (banned word = PARTY)
And here’s the photo:
(banned word = KITTEN or CAT)
Please share your piece in the comments below!
I picked the kitten picture for my piece. Here it is:
An orange ball of fur curled up among long tendrils of grass. Small and scared, it huddles, making tiny mews. I stroke its soft fur–like stroking a cloud–and pick it up with a gentle touch. His whiskers tickle my cheek. His breath is milky and sweet, reminding me of milkshakes at the little cafe by the lake. Blue eyes blink up at me. He searches my face, “Are you my mummy?”
The next challenge will go up in the first week of February.