This year I’m featuring a monthly writing challenge on the blog. As ‘show, don’t tell’ is one of my writing mantras and is a topic I’ve covered many times on my blog, I thought it only fitting for it to make up my first challenge.
Here’s how the challenge will work:
1. Below I will list three ‘telling’ sentences and a photo.
2. Your challenge is to pick one of the sentences or the photo and write a descriptive paragraph or flash fiction (no more than 300 words).
3. You must not use the ‘banned’ word in your piece.
4. You must use each of the five senses.
5. You have two weeks to complete the challenge. In two weeks I will share my challenge piece and invite you to share yours in the comments.
Here are the sentences (and you are more than welcome to do more than one if you want!):
1. I was scared. (banned word = SCARED)
2. The boy ate an apple. (banned word = APPLE)
3. It’s a great party. (banned word = PARTY)
And here’s the photo:
(banned word = KITTEN or CAT)
This is meant to be for fun and to challenge ourselves as writers. I can’t wait to see what others come up with.
One thought on “Show, Don’t Tell Challenge”
Sounds like a great challenge 🙂 My thinking cap is on alredy.